I am going to jump around in this post as I have several things going on in my head.
1. Raise your hand if you are tired of American Christianity as a Christian. Okay, that was only 3% of you out there. My frustration stems from a watered down version of the gospel of Jesus Christ and a complete lack of respect and fear for God. I admire Jews and Muslims for their piety. The reverence they have for their god is humbling. How many Christians have ever done any of the following on a continual basis:
a. taken off your shoes and washed your hands and feet before praying
b. memorized scripture for the purpose of prayer
c. gotten on our knees and faces in prayer to God
d. denied ourselves foods and drinks that are horrible for us to honor God (not just to be healthier for ourselves)
I have not, and I know there is danger in ritual religious traditions. I don’t know what to do with this nagging feeling inside me though regarding my lack of obedience, honor, and reverence for the God I believe in. It is in the Bible – “Therefore, I say this and testify in the Lord: You should no longer walk as the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their thoughts.” (Ephesians 4:17, but read all of that section down to 5:5) “Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship.” Romans 12:1 “Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches people to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever practices and teaches these commandments will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Jesus as recorded in Matthew 5:19-20) The list goes on with commands to pursue holiness, righteousness, godliness, purity, etc…
But American Christians do not do these things (or at least very few do). Why? Ask yourself that. Why don’t I surrender every aspect of my life to God? We like our things, we like our food, we like our drinks, we like our entertainment, we like our lust, we like our power, etc… For me it is things, food, entertainment, lust, and the pursuit of power/authority over other people. What would my marriage, my parenting, my friendships, and my social engagement look like if I was truly a child of the Living God?
2. Is it possible that one day Jews, Muslims, and Christians will fight a united front in America against religious oppression? This is a dangerous line of questioning to post on the internet, but I want to plant the idea in your mind for you so that you are not shocked when it happens. And should that unified front be violent, political, in the form of separatist, or some other method?
Has the war on terror been created by those in power to keep Christians and Jews from becoming allies with Islam? I don’t believe that entirely, but I believe their could be just enough truth there to make me pursue truth to my prejudices and biases against Muslims. What are your perceptions of other cultures, religions, and people groups? What do you base those perceptions on? National news outlets? Newspapers like USA Today, The Washington Post, The New York Times? God forbid, movies and television like Homeland, 24, The Unit, Zero Dark Thirty, etc…?
What would we find if we were willing to take a risk and engage Jews and Muslims in our communities? I believe you would find way more similarities with Christians than what Christians are currently finding within society at large. And it better happen before dialogue about religious beliefs is illegal or forbidden.
3. I finally published my first book ever, a Christian novel. Only available through Amazon.com. I don’t mind sending you the pdf for free if you want it. I am not trying to make money on this book, just trying to gain some experience in the publishing realm. I might make a sequel to it, but I am not sure yet. The sequel would be based on the second point I discussed today.
Thanks for reading.
- Religion Does Not Belong at Public School Graduation Ceremonies (atheistrev.com)
- Muslim In Chief (thesleuthjournal.com)
- The Paralyzing Premise of Public Prayer (huffingtonpost.com)
- Quotes From Barack Hussein Obama On Islam And Christianity. (militianews.com)
- Christian-Jews-Muslims and Concept of God (makashfa.wordpress.com)