Well, we finally made it to Las Cruces, New Mexico this past Wednesday, March 28th around noon local time. Let me recap and then ask a couple of questions from there:
1. We finally get the job offer and it is exactly what we needed and wanted in order to make the move happen and live comfortably.
2. We were able to put he house up for sale and for rent at the same time. It now has a contract on it for rent for the next year.
3. The alarm company canceled our contract without penalty.
4. AT&T didn’t hassle me about disconnecting service and they said we didn’t have a contract (but I know we did, I had just redone it a month or so ago).
5. Our van didn’t need repairs prior to leaving other than an oil change and a new universal belt. Both inexpensive items.
6. No problems with the rental truck or our van for over 1,500 miles of travel in four days.
7. Great visits with friends and family along the way that wouldn’t have happened otherwise.
8. No going into debt to make the move happen and to get established in Las Cruces.
9. After exhausting our rental home options that we found in advance, we found an amazing place at an amazing price. Perfect neighborhood with view of the mountains to our east, a separate room for homeschooling/exercise/office space/in-law bed (it is that big).
10. Able to switch our hotel room after our first room smelled and didn’t have a bathtub to bathe the kiddos in (shower only). No troubles with that and I was able to troubleshoot the hotel’s computer to tell them what was wrong.
11. Tons of support from friends helping us pack up and on this end my bosses said they will put the word out for help to get us moved in once I let them know a place and a time.
12. Extremely friendly place to work with no worries about being off to go to doctor’s appointments for Heather during the pregnancy and for the birth. That is awesome!
13. Another friend put us in touch with a local church where he knows the pastor (the pastor married he and his wife). The pastor has been helping us with contacts in the local area. We will check out their church Sunday.
14. Our kids are doing well overall. Constance had some bowel trouble but that has been fixed as of yesterday and things are getting back to normal routine wise.
15. Our cat has done very well with the trip and is living in the rental truck with periodic visits from us to check on her. She looks great.
16. Heather hasn’t had complications due to the trip and is doing very well. Some sickness yesterday and once during the trip, but overall she has done better than expected.
17. Lots of support before we left with the house regarding repairs, dinners, cleaning (thanks Blair!), and offers for taking care of things once we are gone. You guys and gals rock.
And the list could go on and on, but those are the main items that I can come up with.
So the questions:
A. When things go well, is that God?
B. Do positive things happen because of positive perspectives and attitudes? Meaning, I could change the wording in a lot of the above and it would look negative. For example, Heather has been sick on and off during the trip with two really bad episodes (one on the side of interstate while stopping to change our son’s diaper, another in the parking lot of a local restaurant after tossing up $6 in food and then I had to clean it up). I am learning that attitude has a lot to do with how I perceive things.
C. When can we claim that God is behind something that is going our way? What support from the different books of the Bible do we have for that argument?
Thanks for reading,